Thursday, July 12, 2012

My Realities of Homeschooling

So, since this is my blog about life, sewing, and everything I enjoy in this world, I thought I'd do a little post on my thoughts as a homeschooling mom. 'k?

When I first started homeschooling, I felt as though it was thrust upon me. My oldest daughter was an eager learner and told me one day, "Mommy, I want to read." That was it. Well, actually, I hesitated and said, "Not yet." After all, she was only three years old at the time. I was not ready for the challenge of teaching my child how to read at such a young age. After her continued asking and begging to learn how to read (Did I mention she is an E.A.G.E.R. learner?), I caved and said, "Okay." She was almost four at that time. I picked up the Kindergarten Hooked On Phonics box I found on sale at my Big Lots store and I started teaching my Sophie how to read. It was a breeze! (Once again, please remember that she is an E.A.G.E.R. learner - I cannot stress that enough.)

And thus started my world of homeschooling. Sophie got to be of school age and I found she was too smart (Can I say that about my own daughter?!) to enter Kindergarten when I thought she was ready for 1st grade. No school would allow her to move up, so we decided to continue on with our homeschooling venture. Most days, she would wake up asking me, "When do we do school?" and I would drag out the books and begin teaching. I dreaded it. And looking back, I wonder why?! She was, quite possibly, the easiest child on the planet to teach. And I know this because I have two other children who are more normal learners.

After 5 years of teaching two of our children at home and our third now entering Kindergarten, I told my husband I needed a break from homeschooling. He agreed and we prayed about what school to send them to. God provided the funds for a wonderful Christian school and we went full force in that direction. The kids thrived in the school, and after some initial hesitation, they even loved it! Of course, I missed my kids, but I knew they needed this year to learn and grow in more ways than one.

And now we come to present day. We were excited to continue on with this wonderful school, until one day, very recently, God placed it on my heart that I was to homeschool again. To say that I was devastated is an understatement. (Just being honest here!) I know my inconsistencies as a home teacher... I know my mood swings and how I struggle to keep my mentality calm and collected when my kids are driving me nuts. I know how I lose my cool when my kids don't get the concepts that I'm trying my very hardest to teach them. I know that my house will be a place of many little messes, including books everywhere, crayons on my floor, dishes not done, dinner not planned, and those little pieces of paper that the kids just had to cut up to make a special card for someone.

And yet, the Lord stills my heart. And I find a desire and even longing to homeschool my children again... to raise them up as only He desires me to. I know that I will need time in His Word daily to make it through those rough days that will most likely be more than not. Note: I will need to earnestly seek out that time. However, I eagerly anticipate what God has planned for all three of my children and for me.

My heart... I asked God for each one of my children, and He chose to bless us with each one. I can say without hesitation that I not only love my kids, I really like them! They are, by far, the coolest people I know. I pray for a renewed joy in my heart to teach them at home and to enjoy each moment with them.

No comments: